We are a young, Monaco-based enterprise in the field of small satellites, with our own production facility and team. We launched our first satellite last year and have additional projects in the pipeline. We are looking for a versatile, embedded software engineer with experience in small satellites for a full-time position starting in the next few months. Only candidates from within Europe will be considered. The job is based in Monaco, but the candidate may choose to live in nearby France. If you fit the bill and are potentially interested, we would be delighted to hear from you.
As an embedded software engineer, the candidate will join a collaborative team to develop innovative small satellite solutions for multiple projects. The individual will be responsible for hardware development during all phases of a development cycle, including requirements, design, implementation, test, integration and documentation in a fast-paced environment. Additionally, as is common in a start-up environment, tasks may extend beyond the original job description. This allows everyone to gain a better understanding of all aspects of the business – from engineering to sales. Employees are expected to take initiative and be responsible for their own day-to-day planning and workload.
Specific tasks will include:
- Working in a small, multidisciplinary team to develop solutions for ongoing and future projects.
- Participating in hardware requirements, design, implementation, and testing discussions. Participating in team discussions involving vehicle architecture and design for ongoing and future projects.
- Constructing, developing, and testing software applications, drivers, or middle-ware in a low-power embedded environment. Participating in software requirements generation, design, implementation, and testing discussion with multiple team members. Integrating developed software with hardware test platforms, preexisting software, and new software developed by other team members. Maintaining new and preexisting software solutions to enhance feature sets and to consistently improve overall stability.
- Assessing various project opportunities
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as an embedded software engineer, preferably in a satellite avionics design capacity, preferably with small satellites.
- Specialization in embedded software development, preferably with experience in mobile and low-power SOC platforms, such as OMAP, DaVinci, AVR, and SAM series. Additional experience developing bare-metal firmware with microcontrollers is desirable. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, self-starting, enthusiastic, and can perform duties autonomously.
- BS CS, CPE, EE, or equivalent degree required. MS in appropriate field (e.g., CS, EE) preferred
- Experience with and using standard electronics equipment required: oscilloscope, power supply, logic analyzer, etc.
- Experience with embedded OS development preferred, including but not limited to Linux and/or RTOS
- Experience with common open-source configuration management and test tools, such as subversion, git, mercurial, GDB, perf, valgrind.
- Experience with open-source environments and development tools, such as Linux, GNU cross-compiler toolchains, and IDEs (e.g., Eclipse).
- Knowledgeable in the area of communication protocols at all layers, such as I2C, SPI, USART, and TCP/IP protocols.
- High competency developing in C/C++ languages.
- Familiarity with object-oriented design and programming.
- Familiarity with iterative, agile, and waterfall software development processes
- Familiarity with major stages of the software development cycle, including requirements generation, construction, design, implementation, and test.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and well-developed written and oral skills to effectively communicate and participate in discussions with other team members
- Ability to learn new processes and tools quickly and utilize them effectively
Proficient use of written and oral English language is mandatory
- Good communication with team members, and ability to provide and receive constructive criticism.
- Professional use of written and oral English language is mandatory.
- Ability to travel and work at partners’ or customers’ locations (infrequently).
- Experience with the full development cycle of a CubeSat mission.
- Good connections within the CubeSat community.
- Conversational French is a plus.
- Amateur Radio license holder is a plus.
- Enjoys outreach activities.